Monday, May 10, 2010

A Slice of Happiness



two years ago

high tea on the Veranda of the Moana Surfrider Hotel

a loving concession from my son

he knows his mama loves tea


and a chance meeting with his best friend

on a sidewalk on the way


and my husband.

three of my favorite men


sitting with me

sipping tea

eating tiny little sandwiches

they were surprised

it all tasted so good

the ocean was beautiful
the waves sparkled

the sun made us drowsy
that Mother's Day


we sipped tea

we ate chocolate

we told stories

we argued religion and politics

we laughed

I luxuriated in the undivided uninterrupted

perfection of the moment


we walked back together

he made me laugh

he knew he'd done a good thing

that Mother's Day


the last time.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a special gift...what great guys! vi

Gberger said...

What a lovely memory to cherish. What a wonderful son you have. God bless you, dear friend.XOXO

Anonymous said...

Beautiful heartfelt words revealing so very much immense pain and grief!
I think not the last time!
I think our feast and table of the Lamb is still to come and I can't imagine anything more precious than having Joey as your and Joe's dinner partner, sitting beside you both. (Blows Mama's Fish House away!)I think God the greatest host we will have ever seen or will ever,ever know!
Revelation 19:9
"And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding feast of the Lamb.” And he added, “These are true words that come from God.”
Love and praying for your entire family,
Gary

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing a most wonderful moment! It is good we have those, some mothers do not. I
have you on my mind daily. xoxo
Sharon

anna Flowergardengirl said...

I am good at recall once I get a picture of the event in my mind. And to help me, I start thinking of the smells, taste, touch--so I was following along thinking how grand this day was.

karen--since we met on our blogs--I have tired to never hurry a moment and you have given that to me. I'm so sorry that Joey is not right here.

I don't really wish for Joey to be here--I wish for us to be with him. Hurry and come Lord...we want to see You and we want to see Joey. Might be tomorrow Karen--just might be. Every day is closer.

I was watching a video on a gardener yesterday. She spoke about how her father always knew to say the right thing.

This gardener's brother's dog died. As the gardener looked out the window at her brother burying his dog--tears came to her eyes knowing how sad the brother was.

The gardener's father came up to her and said--have you picked any roses today--and she said no---and she ran to the other window where the roses were growing.

Her father said to her---well...you were just looking out the wrong window. So for me...

I see Joey drawing near as I look for him through heaven's gates.