Saturday, July 11, 2009

What Happened to the Farm?

So here's the story for those of you who know us, and knew that our plan when we left Maui was to buy a little farm in the rural community of Pungo:

When we left Maui for Virginia, our emotional nerve endings were exposed and raw, and being in so much pain, we felt we needed a new way of life. We were seeking peace, tranquility and distraction, and that, in our city dweller minds, led to thoughts of open spaces, which led to thoughts of horses, goats and chickens. We found a 7-acre creekside farm back in February and went into contract on it.

The farm was supposed to close on April 30, but when April 30 came and went without a word from the sellers, we began to suspect that something was up. They are quite old, and (dare I say it in a public forum?) crotchety and cantankerous, and we were having considerable trouble pinning things down with them. It became clear to us that they were highly ambivalent. Although they needed to sell, and said they wanted to sell, and posted For Sale signs, they also wanted to keep their property, and we realized that this transaction might not go through. We set a new deadline for July 1, and made up our own Plan B, which was to move into JoAnne's soon-to-be available rental house, right down the street from Jaime's house.

July 1 came and we each had appointments with our respective lawyers, but the sellers still had not moved out of the farm property. Desperately down to the wire and needing a place to live, we moved into JoAnne's house, thinking it would be temporary. Then came more postponements and excuses. Finally two days ago, they contacted us again, saying they wanted to sign the papers that day, but still live on the farm for 2 more weeks. When we said that we would sign the papers once they were out of the place, they cancelled the deal!! Cancelled. Can you believe it??!! The nerve of some people!

Apparently they were looking for a way out, and took our terms as that opportunity! We were at first stunned, but then we were relieved. We had prayed fervently that God would lead us by opening and closing doors for us, and that is exactly, almost literally, what has happened.

So though there was some disappointment at being city dwellers again, (and shock and stupefying wonder at the craziness of this transaction) we have adjusted. Plan B saved our skin. We are very grateful for Plan B, and the fact that we have a cozy place to live right down the street from three of our precious grandchildren. It wasn't what we had in mind, but it seems a very soft place to land after our frustrations of the past two and a half months. Even the broken water heater and collapsing ceiling can't dampen our relief. We can finally get settled and that feels more than great after an unsettling year.

The moral to the story: this world is one big Plan A that has gone terribly wrong. Death, disappointments, and destroyed dreams abound and all of us get blindsided by one or more of those things on this journey. God's Plan B, Christ's death for our sin and the promise and consolation of Heaven and eternal life, while not holding the same initial appeal as our Plan A, will someday save our skin. And of course, because God is the Creator, it won't be second best. God reassures us that "Eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, neither has it entered the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for those who love Him."

So I've simply had another lesson in the aptly worded hymn: "This world is not my home, I'm just a-passing through. My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore." And I've got to say, I am really good with that.

Now all I have to do is rename my blog...any suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the ending to your story. About the real home we will be in someday, with our loved ones and God. When you mentioned plan A and plan B I can totally see and know. Hard morning, much the same as you. I just want simplisity, quiet and real happiness. Get settled in, I am jelious as I sit here in this big home.
Love and prayers Sharon

Gannet Girl said...

What a journey!

Steve and Janna said...

Always love your posts. You really need write a book.

How about From Paradise to Plan B?

You guys r so special. Love, Janna

Gberger said...

Thank you for your note on my blog, and for sharing your family's journey here. I feel as if I have "met" your beautiful son now, and I am grateful for that gift. What a lovely young man, and what a hole he has left here!

I loved what you wrote about "Plan A;" may you feel God's love as you continue to listen for His leading.

Karen Gberger

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding me? REally? I've got a good nerve to come up there and give them a strong finger wagging. I bet if they heard your story they would truly be ashamed. No telling the amount of grief we cause people being selfish. Those people were selfish and will probably pay the price.

Since you are in such a forgiving mood--I'll just be angry for the both of us!

I know God owns the cows and chickens on a thousand hilltops and I hope he gives you a few.