Thursday, June 09, 2011

Summer So Far

Can you see the baby turtle floating on the turtle raft in our pond? This is where they go to get their tans. 

The pond is low. We are 8" short on rain for this time of year. Still there is enough water to sustain the turtles, crawdads, bass, frogs, and dragonfly nymphs that live in the water. 

A mama turtle came ashore and dropped her egg in a hole she dug in the ground. It's about the size of a small chicken egg. They have these little nest holes all over the farm. 

That one is next to my garden above. The greenhouse is full of asparagus, tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs, and peppers. In the past week I have planted the larger bed with roses, surrounded by chives, mint, strawberries and watermelons. Sounds like it might make a nice refreshing summer drink minus the chives. 

Another herb box, located outside the kitchen. Can't get enough of these. 

Or these...flower pots cheer me up.  

Along with Mr. Piggy sniffing the ferns and impatiens. 

Mr. Box Turtle is gorgeous but not terribly social. 

He peeks out only when necessary. 


He has such a customized home to live in. It seals shut and really makes hiding easy. 

This is where most of my pennies are going these days. 

Can't get enough of these...

Or these...

Or these. 

I seem to fill the back of my car with these buckets of sunshine everytime I go out. Strange that a flower could bring so much comfort and peace. I suppose it's the symmetry, the artistry, the obvious craftsmanship... lovely signatures of God's presence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your new post. Even I have been doing the very same thing, minus the farm and pond. God sure shows off his beauties in the summer, yes! Love You Sharon

Gberger said...

It looks wonderful there. I love flowers, too, though am not an avid GARDENER - I deeply appreciate others' efforts.
With the flooding a few months ago, I thought you would have plenty of water! Where did it all go?
Thank you for your prayers today. I felt them. I miss you! Maybe we should start skyping or using the phone...xoxoxo

Anna/Flowergardengirl said...

Hey--I love your Costco greenhouses--so clever and full of life. I did see the update on them in a previous post. I want to get these as the deer chomped my tomato plants in half this week. Errrrr

You picked a lot of good plants and I hope they are doing well--mine are not. I got a batch of some that had been over sprayed with a growth inhibitor--meant to extend shelf life..... made me mad as a hornet.

You do have some pretty containers and I'm enjoying watching them come along. Hope they did well while you were gone to Alaska.