Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lauer Power!

A Final Toast over Fred's Mexican Take-Out!

Shaka Kit---still taking out the trash!

The Amazingly Wonderful Lauers

Three Girls plus the Zoey Girl!


Joe and Maisha' s Special Bond


Handsome Kit and Beautiful Shelly

Friends Forever

When we returned to Maui after spending our holidays in Virginia, one of our biggest hopes was that we would have time with Kit and his family. Kit has acute leukemia and is fighting the battle of his life. Vicious cancer cells have invaded his bones and blood, and a year later, after three chemos and numerous transfusions, he is still in the battle like a mighty warrior.

Kit has the spirit of a lion. Before cancer, he was strong, fit and the ultimate athlete, biking miles every day. Now he is physically weak, but spiritually powerful. He and his family have been our strongest support in our time of grief. Kit's faith never wavers, no matter how much he suffers. He lives in a loving trust relationship with his Heavenly Father, and considers the suffering of this time as not worthy of being compared to the future of glory that awaits us all.

Kit has given us so much strength. He is the engine of faith, and we've hooked our little caboose on to him and felt him pull us through over and over again. His depth, his wisdom, his unshakeable confidence in God have lifted us and given us deep comfort.


We've been blessed to share some special dinners with them recently and last night was our last. We fly to Virginia today. It was so hard to say goodbye to Kit and Shelly and Maisha. It was the hug we never wanted to end. They are the most beautiful, exquisite people, full of love and grace and compassion. They are precious treasures in this life and in the life to come. What a privilege to share their journey and wait patiently on the Lord, together.



There was given me a thorn in the flesh. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me...For when I am weak, then I am strong. II Cor 12:7-1

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Maisha Bonnie said...

Karen and Joe...it was a hug that we didn't want to end either! I wish that I was better with words like you and my dad are, but all I can say is praise Jesus that we have all eternity to spend with such amazing people as you...I'm looking forward to it! You have my heart, and that will never change. I wish you blessings as you start your new journey in life and you watch your beautiful, beautiful grandchildren grow.
te quiero con todo mi corazon...un gran abrazo y besos! :-) hugs and kisses.
I love you forever.
Maisha

Anonymous said...

Joe and Karen,

Incredible pictures of all of you. Just wanted to say it is a good thing you got a big house, as you are going to need it when all your Maui ohana show up!!! You are truly loved!!!

Jeri said...

Beautiful words for wonderful people! You're all very special to us and we love you.

Hope you made it safely to VB.

Love & miss you,
Jeri & Cliff

Leeann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leeann said...

Joe and Karen-
You are missed already--thanks so much for sharing your love and inspired words on this site. I love the concept of engine and caboose--know that for many of us, you two have been the engine, and I feel blessed to have had even small opportunities to attach myself as caboose. Love you both!