Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Words to Live By

My son was a gifted writer. He wrote a very long and extremely entertaining blog along with Rachel about their one year Northern Hemisphere van trip. He wrote an occasional magazine or news article critiquing music or politics. But mostly he wrote bits and pieces. He wrote a smattering of journal entries, lyrics to his music, some poetry, and lots of witty, even hilarious emails and blackberry chats on whatever pertained to the docket of the day.

His writing is mostly funny, but now it's become poignant. His list of what he was thankful for on his last Thanksgiving, an April Fool's Day gag in which he told us that he was going to sail around the world, his emails on his last day of his earthly life--all of them are packed with new meaning for us now. In one email he told a friend that his mother (me) always believed him and that it made him feel good. It made me feel all warm inside to simply read those feelings that I hadn't known. In most of his snippets he is expressing affection to friends or family. He poured out a lot of love on people through his words and that is a gift that keeps on giving as we re-visit those words.

So I'm starting a new project. I am gathering up his words and putting them in a scrapbook. I plan to include pictures of the people, places and things about which he wrote. That way, on those days when the missing is so intense, we can pull it out and "hear" him speak to us again.


Proverbs 12:18
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

What a beautiful idea. Sending hugs and prayers your way every day.

Daisy said...

Wow, Karen. What a wonderful gift from Joey.

Love the scripture quote.

Mich

Beckypdj said...

Sounds wonderful. I am so glad you have his "voice" to comfort you. :)

Gberger said...

This is a beautiful idea. Did you know that you could self-publish it (privately) with Costco or Blurb software? The software is free, but the printing costs. Your family members might each like to have a copy...

Robin (Gannet) and Chris (True North) are talking about traveling out here in the fall. Would you want to join them, by any chance? xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love this ida. Anything we can do to have that feel good going on. I love that you have his voice, something we don't have. We all gather bits and pieces of their life, now ended, we want to carry on all that we can. To remember, reflect on, laugh about, cry, smile and love. xoxoxoxoSharooon

Anonymous said...

Karen, Are you getting my emails?Hopefully you are off doing something special. Love Sharon

Pam said...

I think this is an excellent idea! Sounds like it will be amazing when it's all put together. :)

Anonymous said...

There is nothing that puts your memories together more than love itself. I think love eternal! I also believe so much in God's love and grace!
Gary

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOOOU JOE AND KAREN................I THANK GOD FOR YOU BOTH, THINGS ARE BETTER, BABY STEPS.

Anna/Flowergardengirl said...

And it is a living project as you continue to learn about him daily. I can read something over and over and get a new idea or perspective. And then when the reunion takes place in heaven--you will have new things to share with Joey.

You continue to be comforted by Joey's life cause you seek to live. Joey is more alive than any of us here on earth. He's also preparing for your arrival--I wonder what he's doing? He's probably saying---I can't wait for family to arrive so I can show them what I've been doing.