Sunday, July 04, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

We are staying at the beach for the 4th of July and I woke this morning to the sounds of a worship band playing. I looked over my 14th floor balcony and was surprised to see this large group of people gathered for the worship service below me. The music was good and Joe and I sipped our tea on the balcony and enjoyed the vibe. I was touched when they sang "God Bless America" and surprised to hear the crowd join in. I thought,
"freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly"--all in one little package below me.
What a perfect 4th of July morning, and the fireworks are still to come!

Last year we visited Philadelphia and saw many of the symbols of our American Revolution. Here Joe stands next to the flag that united the colonies to sign the Declaration of Independence. What wisdom and foresight our forefathers displayed. I am forever humble and grateful for the privilege of being born an American.

In a museum dedicated to Benjamin Franklin, his words shine on the walls and still ring true. I would love for Congress to heed his words. I think I speak for most Americans when I say it's often a place where there is way too much talk, and a disappointing lack of action.

Nonetheless, we love our country and its history and its symbols. This is Independence Hall, the place where our founders signed the Declaration of Independence, starting the greatest experiment in democracy that the world has ever known. It's imperfect and unfinished, but it's still the best thing going on the planet. I am in awe of those who conceived the dream of creating a free society, and for the good our country does for the entire world.

This symbol outside an art museum in Philadelphia says it all for me. Despite its flaws and weaknesses, its divisions and unsettled wars, I deeply love my country.
God bless America.

I hope you all enjoy your 4th of July celebration. I can't wait to sit on the beach tonight, and look up at the sparkling explosions in the night sky, and see the reflections of the falling stardust on the ocean below...and ponder again the wonder of the place we call the Land of the Free.
Pictures tomorrow.




Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

2 comments:

Gberger said...

I'm deeply thankful that you are experiencing this celebration of the 4th of July. It sounds as if it includes both traditional and modern pleasures, and I'm so glad you are able to enjoy it all. God bless America - and you & your family. xoxo

Anna Flowergardengirl said...

Beautifully written and I enjoy the views from your balcony. I'm a beach girl and love the sand between my toes--I think it's so American to wish for a boardwalk hot dog, some cotton candy, lemonade, and hear..God Bless America. Bless you too Karen.